Wednesday, June 20, 2012

5 Internet Pet Peeves

I see it time and time again, and even though I shouldn't let these silly little things bug me, sometimes they get under my skin a little. It gets even sadder if you call them on it they argue about it just furthering the  illiteracy and ignorance. While the internet has become a valuable source for some things such as having all that information available to you at your fingertips, and keeping in touch with those you wouldn't be able to other wise, it has also become a breading ground for stupidity. On many things for me I think it boils down to I'm a huge fan of truth, and sometimes I can get carried away when something other than truth is being spread.

Jacking not hacking

Someone's friend writes I've been hacked on their status. Except it's not hacking if the user is already logged in. Then I correct them with the right term jacking and they continue to argue about it. Really, your just showing your illiteracy and intolerance to learning.

Jacking is short for hijacking. Hacking is getting in without knowing a password or the person just plain leaving themselves logged in. Hacking is more of a finding a back door in, or using a vulnerability in code to get your way in, something the average person is not capable of. On the other hand jacking commonly refers to stealing. If you are status jacking someone, you are technically stealing their status for the moment.

Blind commenting

Someone posts an article and half of the commenters throw in their two sense just based on the headline without even taking the two minutes to look at the article. What they are flipping out about is usually explained in said article, or the article was poorly titled.

Along those same lines we have the people that comment before bothering to read the other comments, thus just repeating what has been stated over and over again. This isn't one of those instances where everyone happened to post at the same time either, often there is at least a half hour in-between time stamps, if not hours or even days. These people are pointless to call out, since if they didn't read comments in the first place, they are not going to go back and see your response either.

Misuse of threw and through

I went over this in a previous post, no need to restate it. If you missed it you can read it here.

Blind copy and paste/share/forward

We all have those friends who seem to believe everything they read and then feel the need to re-post it for the millionth time. I trust my friend and if they posted it therefore it must be true right? Everything on the internet, or on the news even is true right? Nope, repasting that tidbit without bothering to check it makes you look just as silly as your dear friend. Most of the time just a quick copy and paste into google gives you several sources proving whatever scare is just a bunch of made up crap that was twisted from a tiny bit of truth to get a rise out of people. Google is your friend. Guess what, jokes on you, you fell for it. Reliable sources to check with include snopes.com, hoax-slayer.com, and several others.

Then there are those people that continue to argue it even after you show them proof, because they couldn't be bothered with clicking that link that proves they are wrong and their egos are to fragile to admit they could be mistaken. Then some take it further and when someone doesn't state an opinion but tries to stop the argument they agree with them. I think this bugs me because people are so afraid to admit and own their mistakes. I think maybe it's a self esteem issue on their part and somehow they think admitting a mistake makes them less of a person. In my eyes, a person that can admit a mistake is a honorable person.

Attention whores

I'm not talking about the occasional I had a bad day and need to vent and maybe get some support, but no big deal I'll get over it. Rather I'm talking about the people that everything they write about just screams give me attention I'm better than you, my life is so horribly unfair kinda stuff. Even if you do show them some sympathy or support, they never return the favor because there is always some kind of drama affecting them that is way more important than anyone else in this world. Most of the time I secretly pity them, not because their life does suck, but because obviously they feel so unloved and have no idea how to change their life, and refuse to take any advice even though they asked for it.


Ok, now that my little rant is over, and if you're still reading this, thank you...
Do you have any internet pet peeves you'd like to get off your chest?



No comments:

Post a Comment