Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pepper Boats

Looking for a recipe for something to bring to a German themed gathering this weekend and after ruling out the normal deviled eggs or pickle roll ups, I came across this (pictured on left) from http://mybestgermanrecipes.com/2011/04/24/pepper-boats/


I made a few small changes from the original...


SUNSET® One Sweet™ Pepper
I found a bag of mini-peppers at Sam's Club (pictured on right), simply cut the top off, sliced them in half and removed their guts.

I then mixed cream cheese, garlic powder, and lemon juice to taste, adding heavy whipping cream as needed to get the right texture consistency. I played around with adding lemon pepper but it made it kind of gritty with too much of a bitter bite.

Instead of buying a decorating bag I filled a ziploc bag with the mixture and cut a small corner off to squeeze the mixture into the pepper halves.

I also skipped the almonds and replaced the chives with green onion since they were a better value for the money.

Then refrigerated them overnight which re-thickened the cream cheese mixture and blended the flavors.

My finished product can be seen on the left. Total time from prep to plate was less than 2 hours, but I did take a couple ten minute breaks in there and had to wash the trays. They were a big hit at the party though.

After filling and plating them I also thought of a quicker variation to just put the filling in the middle and let the guests dip the pepper halves themselves, cutting it down to one tray and probably cutting prep to plate time down quite a bit.

I'm interested to hear how they turn out for you and any variations you may come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment