Thursday, May 31, 2012

Should Rich Kids Be Ineligible for College Scholarships

Woke up this morning and among the headlines in my news feed I see the question 'Should rich kids be ineligible for college scholarship's?' Apparently the question was brought up from the news that Sean Combs', (aka P.Diddy, who is worth quite a bit of money) son Justin had been awarded a full scholarship to UCLA. Of course all this got my mind wandering on my own opinion.

First off I wanted to point out, it's technically the parents that are rich not the kids. At the bare bones parents are only financially responsible for their children until they are eighteen, and before then as long as they are providing necessities like food, shelter, and clean clothes what they choose to do with the rest of the money is up to them. One would hope they would find it a priority to make sure their kids know the responsibility of spending money wisely, and that education is important and that they would help them out in that as much as they can as long as the child puts in some effort of their own even if it's just striving to get good grades. I really think the biggest job of a parent is to help teach there kids how to be successful and strive to live a successful life while maintaining being a good person, among many other things. I don't think I've ever met a parent that didnt' hope their child would grow up to have a better life than them.

As for the question, it seems that many people share a similar opinion and the simple answer is, no, he shouldn't be ineligible, he worked for it and he earned it. It doesn't mean he has to take it, and it also doesn't mean the parents were going to fund his college career in the first place. The best we can hope for is that he either turns it down to let someone who may need it more use it, or that his parents will donate that amount of money to somewhere deserving.

I also noticed in some comments there was a questions and debate about if his GPA was actually high enough by UCLA's standards or if his fathers fame had something to do with it. That I don't know, but I hope the decision was fair and not clouded. It also depends on which scale your looking at and I couldn't find out which scale Justin's was based on. If it was the 4.0 scale I see no reason why 3.75 isn't good, however using the 5.0 scale that changes things slightly. There are also other variables such as every teacher grades in their own way and it is all based on perception. What one teacher sees as exceptional, another may see as mediocre. Either way I still stand by if a child puts in the effort why not reward them for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment